Thursday, December 15, 2011

Getting into the Christmas Spirit

Hello Friends!

Don't you just looooooove Christmas? I got excited this year and pulled the Christmas stuff out of storage the week after Thanksgiving! And that is a major accomplishment for me! You heard about our tree fiasco... and if you didn't, feel free to read the previous post. :)

Like I said, I got everything out and the lights hung and the (fake) tree in the house and got some neighbor gifts together and then I hit a SLUMP... for about a week. We had a rough experience and I decided I was already officially over Christmas and that it was too hard to be in the Christmas spirit when I had so much shopping to do, so much decorating to finish, and it was just all too much work. Bah Humbug. That was me.

Thankfully, my husband let me be grumpy for a few days and we moved on. We finally got that blasted tree decorated :). I made tags for the neighbor gifts (they are coming soon... promise!). We started playing Christmas music, doing some shopping (I LOVE Christmas shopping!), and I even made sugar cookies yesterday! With Taylor's help, of course. We had lots of fun. I finished a blanket I was sewing for a little Angel Tree boy. And I started working on some more Christmas sewing that needs to be done... in a week?! AAAH!

I think this year more than ever I have been thinking what Christmas is REALLY about. Really about Jesus Christ. The fact that because of Him, families can be together forever. How thankful I am for that gift. Best Christmas gift... EVER. I have felt an increase in love from Heavenly Father these last few weeks and a feeling of peace and tranquility and just the "gut feeling" that everything is going to be okay.

I feel like we have had an outpouring of blessings that we really don't deserve but that I am so grateful for. I feel like I have aged about 10 years in the last few weeks, and I can't say that it's all bad. I feel a deeper sense of maturity or something... like my spirit grew older, but wiser at the same time. Have you ever had that experience? Or do you just think I'm SUPER crazy now? :)

I hope you are all able to enjoy this Christmas season and spend time with family and friends. We are all so blessed.

Erika

4 comments:

  1. Ah, that Christmas tree. :) That's a pretty cute assistant you have there. She looks so much like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Fake Tree Fiasco is hilarious. The propping it up against the wall was my favorite part. I definitely would have done the same.
    I'm so glad that you have the Christmas Spirit and were able to write this. It has helped me, too. I've been thinking about you all week and on Sunday felt like that was my feeling, too. "It will be okay." And, "All your losses will be made up to you." And after I read your post, there was added, "And it's all because of Him." I just wish those spiritual feelings were able to be better expressed in words. Love you bunches !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have been feeling a lack of Christmas Spirit. It has been hard.
    --Annie

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true about Christ's enduring love. I feel you with wondering if everything will be "okay". ove you!

    ReplyDelete