Monday, November 14, 2011

I DID IT!!!

So I made my own laundry soap for real.... and I LOVE IT! I used this recipe:


Powdered Laundry Detergent (My favorite)

1 cup grated Fels Naptha Soap (Look in your laundry aisle, they sell it here, or at Ace or anywhere really. I got mine at Wal-Mart)

1/2 cup Arm & Hammer washing soda

1/2 cup 20 mule team borax

Mix and store in airtight container or bag. For light or small loads, use 1 tablespoon. For normal loads, use 2 tablespoons. For heavy loads, use 3 tablespoons. Cost per load .15.

To make a large batch - grate 6 bars of Fels Naptha Soap and then add 3 cups of Washing Soda and 3 cups of 20 Mule Team Borax.  Mix well and store in covered container.

and I got it finished just in time because we brought these little babies home Friday night!

Is it wrong that I now LOVE doing laundry? :) I think so too, but it's SO. MUCH. FUN!
So.... did you try the soap? DO IT!

4 comments:

  1. So it works pretty good then? And it looks like you hardly use any soap per load. Cool. If I can ask, how much did it cost to make the batch of soap? (I know, nosy)

    --Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. no worries and not nosy! I think I got the bars of soap for $0.97 at WalMart. Then the washing soda was I think around $3.00 and the Borax was around $4.00 or something like that so I spent around $10.00. I used both bars and some of the borax and washing soda, but I still have lots of soda and borax left so when I make it again I will only be paying for the soap! I'm pretty excited about it :). Let me know if you try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE our front loaders. They are, by far, the BEST purchase we have made in the past two years. :) I will definitely have to try out the soap recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just tried a similar recipe a few weeks ago.....can I say AWESOME??? :)

    ReplyDelete